Our Ties

My photo
Texas, United States
Nothing really different about us... normal people, normal existence, extraordinary journey of blessings brought in the most profound, difficult, devasting, and amazing circumstances. To know our journey is to know grace. I invite you in to view this simple life where extraordinary events shape together to create something only Grace can explain.......

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I learned it from the laundry

I was doing laundry the other day.  I was muttering and sputtering about how many socks were inside out or half in/half out.  I was complaining about the pants with one leg pulled through inside out with the other hanging out, outside in. And then oddly, all the clothes that seemed to be right side out, I was going through and flipping inside out to meet washing instruction recommendations.  It was like every single item was against me.  My kids were hearing "If I have to turn one more sock right side out, I am going to throw them all away!", all while I was then turning the pretty glitter shirts wrong side out. 

Then it hit me...

How ironically funny and exactly like life the laundry is!  The ebb and flow of things this side of heaven are constantly at war.  Constantly.  It seems everything the world embraces, is against what we are called to be and what feels good to flesh is often opposite of the Spiritual calling from God.  The nature of humanity is always pulling at us while we are trying to run towards God.  

And my reaction in the midst can be just exactly like it is when I am doing laundry!  Instead of being thankful I have clothes to wash, a washing machine to wash them in, and precious, precious children to wear those clothes, I am muttering and sputtering (although I do think my varments.. aka kids... still need to step it up a bit and help the old lady out!).  Same when I am dealing in things with God.  Instead of remaining in a state of thankfulness for even the challenges and trials I am facing, I can easily get off course and get too "moment-focused" and forget that something so much larger is taking place. 

Some of my trials are small.  They are.   They are annoying and even hurtful, but in the bigger scheme they are small.  Some of my trials are huge... Overwhelming...  Scary...  Devastating...  But to God... still small.  And all of it, much like the laundry, brings me to a purer place when I am through, as long as I hold on to the One who is holding me. 

I don't know why, but the laundry helped me this week.  Thought maybe you needed a little laundry lesson as well.

God is truly faithful.  And I am grateful!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment